Buy Moonrock Strain
Moon rocks are nugs of cannabis flower dipped in extracts and rolled in kief. Moon rock Strain are typically high in THC, averaging more than 50%, and valued foremost for their potency. Moon rock Strain are also frequently referred to as “cannabis caviar,” although this title is technically reserved for buds dipped in extracts but without the added layer of kief.
Not only do moon rocks look like something from the lunar landscape, they are also named for the out-of-this-world high you’re likely to get from smoking the concoction of weed dipped in concentrated weed and rolled in even more concentrated weed.
Some cannabis consumers use the terms moon rocks and cannabis caviar interchangeably but the descriptors did originally designate two distinct products. Cannabis caviar may refer to moon rocks, or it may just refer to nugs dipped in cannabis oil. So if you’re shopping for moon rocks at a dispensary and you hear your budtender talking about caviar, double-check and make sure you’re getting kief-covered moon rocks.
Though moon rocks are a relatively new cannabis product, a wealth of variations are already out in the market, including THC-free hemp varieties high in CBD. Cannabis brands continue to engineer their own variations of moon rock products with various cultivars and concentrates. Some pre-rolls on the market mimic the moon rock experience by drizzling concentrate over the finished pre-roll and rolling it in kief. These products essentially allow you to smoke moon rocks without dealing with a sticky mess.
How to smoke moon rocks
Smoking moon rocks isn’t necessarily complicated, but it does require a little more effort than smoking flower.
- Use scissors to break the moon rocks into small pieces
- Use glass smoking gear as opposed to rolling papers
- Lightly pack a bowl of moon rocks into a pipe or a water piece to ensure you lose as little kief as possible
- Use hemp wick to light your moon rocks
- Try to roll it up into a moon rock joint or a moon rock blunt
- Put moon rocks in your grinder
- Pack a bowl of moon rock weed too tightly
Bottom line: Smoke moon rocks out of glass because they are too sticky to roll into a joint. Similarly, grinding moon rocks will completely gunk up your grinder and likely remove most of the moon rock’s kief coating. The dense texture also makes it necessary to hold a flame to your bowl for longer than you would with dry flower. Using hemp wick will save you from inhaling all of that butane from a lighter.
How to Make Moon Rocks
For such a potent cannabis treat, they’re pretty easy to make yourself. Here’s what you need and how to do it.
What you’ll need
- A couple of your favorite nugs. The denser the nugs, the better.
- Your favorite cannabis oil/concentrate. Live or flower resin are ideal. Just warm them up a bit to get a more fluid consistency.
- A liquid dropper to moisten the flower with concentrate.
- Kief to coat the concentrate-doused flower.
- Tongs to dip the flower in kief.
- Towel for clean up.
Splash your flower with concentrate. Take the liquid dropper and fill it with concentrate. Then, drop concentrate all over the bud being careful not to soak the flower. Using the dropper rather than submerging the bud will allow the flower to dry more easily, which means it will be easier to light when you’re ready to smoke it.
Roll your flower in kief. Using the tongs, dip the wet nug in the kief until it’s coated all around.
Let it dry. Wait until the bud is dry to smoke it. If it’s too wet, it’ll be tough to light.
Pros and Cons
Before diving straight into Moon Rock heaven, it is important to consider the pros and cons of adding them to your smoking regimen.
- Moon Rocks will get you very very high.
- Great for medical patients that need a high dosage of THC or seasoned users looking for their next challenge.
- Moon Rocks are cost-effective — a couple of small sprinkles added to your flower makes a big difference.
- Their unique sparkly rock-like appearance make them a fun novelty item and a great conversation starter.
- They will get you very very high, which can be unsettling for some.
- Whether you use your fingers or some other device to break them up (please no grinders), Moon Rocks are just plain messy. Something is bound to get sticky somewhere.
- They must be stored in a cool dry place, or they will start to get melty.
The Bottom Line
Whether you want to take your mind on an intergalactic adventure or are just looking for the next big thing in cannabis, Moon Rock Strain may be for you. Mix these super potent buds into your cannabis and flying high is the only possible outcome. With a little caution and preparedness, these bad boys will get you to the moon in no time.